.

.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

5:1 - Undergirds

When & Where: I was reading an article for LTED 626 by Doug Buehl, titled "Scaffolding." He was describing his experiences growing up on a farm and the gradual release of responsibility that his parents gave him. He then applied that idea to teaching and said, "Students need plenty of opportunities to see an expert -- the teacher -- at work, as you interact with texts and showcase the thinking that undergirds doing a task well."

Level of Familiarity: I have never seen this word before, and I find it a very odd sounding/looking word. Based on the way it's used in this sentence I would guess that it means "coincides/goes along with" because that would make sense with what he's talking about.

What it Means: www.dictionary.com has two similar meanings:
1. Secure or fasten from the underside, especially by a rope or chain passed underneath.
2. Provide support or a firm basis for.

Reflective Commentary: I definitely think the second definition makes more sense in this situation. I have a better understanding of what the author is talking about. I will probably never use this word in conversation or in writing. I chose it just because I thought it was a strange word and had never come across it.

No comments:

Post a Comment