.

.

Sunday, October 27, 2013

8:2 - Perseverate

When & Where: I was in LTED 626 listening to the same presentation when the presenter used the word perseverate. She said, "He will perseverate on an issue that is bothering him and refuse to speak."

Level of Familiarity: I've heard the word used before. I believe it was another one of my SAT vocabulary words. I think I remember it having to do with going back and forth between an issue, which would make sense in the context of the sentence.

What it Means: "Repeat or prolong an action, thought, or utterance after the stimulus that prompted it has ceased" (www.dictionary.com)

Reflective Commentary: My original guess was incorrect but I think this makes more sense in the sentence. I don't know if I will really use this word in the future but I do think it's a good one to know. I could maybe see myself using this word in writing, but I'm not quite comfortable enough to use it in conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment