.

.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

6:3 - Capricious

When & Where: I was reading a different short story titled "The Bet" by Anton Chekhov to possibly use for class when I came across the word capricious. The sentence was, "The banker, who at that time had too many millions to count, spoiled and capricious, was beside himself with rapture."

Level of Familiarity: I've heard this word so many times and I still don't know what it means. It's usually used to describe someone's personality or behavior. Because it's used with the term 'spoiled' I'm going to assume that it's somewhat negative.

What it Means: www.dictionary.com says, "given to sudden and unaccountable changes of mood or behavior."


Reflective Commentary: I definitely want to start using this word because I feel as if I have a good understanding of it and what it means. I also looked the word up on Google and there were a lot of examples of capricious behavior, so there are a lot of contexts I could use it in. I also think it's just a useful word to know. It's a common SAT vocabulary word, so it's also good for students to know.

No comments:

Post a Comment