.

.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

5:2 - Parsimonious

When & Where: I was reading Please Ignore Vera Dietz by A.S. King (2012) before bed when I came across the word parsimonious. The author uses this word multiple times throughout the book, but the first time she used it was on p. 10-11: "My parsimonious father doesn't understand that a senior in high school shouldn't have a full-time job...Instead, my parsimonious father launches into a ten-minute lecture about how working for a living is hard and kids today don't get it because they're given allowances they don't earn."

Level of Familiarity: I've seen this word so many times, and I've looked it up before but I can never remember what it means. For some reason whenever I think of this word I immediately get a vivid image of a righteous priest in my mind (I think I may be confusing it with sanctimonious).

What it Means: www.dictionary.com says that parsimonious means, "unwilling to spend money or use resources; stingy or frugal."


Reflective Commentary: I would like to try and use this word because I believe it's a word that can describe a lot of people, or apply to a lot of situations. I now have a better understanding of Vera's father, and why he makes her work so hard in this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment