.

.

Sunday, October 13, 2013

6:1 - Denuded

When & Where: I was at work reading an informational article about an old and notorious American family called, "The Clarks: An American Story of Wealth, Scandal, and Mystery." The article said: "Criticized for the sulfurous smoke and denuded landscape from his mines, he said, 'Those who succeed us can well take care of themselves.'"

Level of Familiarity: I believe I've heard this word before, although I don't know what it means. Based on context clues it seems to be something negative, meaning maybe "ruined or damaged." I know that the prefix de- means to take away, so I think it also has something to do with that.

What it Means: www.dictionary.com says, "to make naked or bare; strip." As in the storm completely denuded the trees.




Reflective Commentary: That was not the definition I was expecting at all. I suppose it makes sense although I don't know what other context I would use it in, other than talking about damage to landscape. I don't know if I will really use this word in conversation, because I'm still not sure on other ways to use it.


No comments:

Post a Comment